GONUTS has been updated to MW1.31 Most things seem to be working but be sure to report problems.
Category:GO:0032774 ! RNA biosynthetic process
name: RNA biosynthetic process
def: "The chemical reactions and pathways resulting in the formation of RNA, ribonucleic acid, one of the two main type of nucleic acid, consisting of a long, unbranched macromolecule formed from ribonucleotides joined in 3',5'-phosphodiester linkage. Includes polymerization of ribonucleotide monomers. Refers not only to transcription but also to e.g. viral RNA replication." [GOC:mah, GOC:txnOH]
comment: Note that, in some cases, viral RNA replication and viral transcription from RNA actually refer to the same process, but may be called differently depending on the focus of a specific research study.
synonym: "double-stranded RNA biosynthesis" NARROW 
synonym: "double-stranded RNA biosynthetic process" NARROW 
synonym: "dsRNA biosynthesis" NARROW 
synonym: "dsRNA biosynthetic process" NARROW [GOC:BHF, GOC:BHF_telomere, GOC:nc, GOC:rl]
synonym: "RNA anabolism" EXACT 
synonym: "RNA biosynthesis" EXACT 
synonym: "RNA formation" EXACT 
synonym: "RNA synthesis" EXACT 
is_a: GO:0009059 ! macromolecule biosynthetic process
is_a: GO:0016070 ! RNA metabolic process
is_a: GO:0034654 ! nucleobase-containing compound biosynthetic process
Gene Ontology Home
The contents of this box are automatically generated. You can help by adding information to the "Notes"
This is a PROCESS term, so use this term for proteins that are shown to be involved in replicating the RNA genome of a virus.
- The RNA genome of the virus could be single-stranded like the bacteriophage MS2, or viruses including SARS, rubella and hanta virus.
- The RNA genome of the virus could be double-stranded like bacteriophage phi6 or viruses like Rotaviruses.
- It may be possible, depending on the evidence in a scientific article, to select a more specific term. Consider:
Other suggested terms that might be suitable if you are looking at DNA replication
- If you are looking for MOLECULAR FUNCTION (ACTIVITY) terms that correspond with this process, you might consider starting here:
- If you are looking for CELLULAR COMPONENT (COMPLEX) terms that correspond with this process, you might consider starting here:
More information on virus from ViralZone
- For more information on ssRNA viruses, see Viral Zone positive-strand ssRNA virus list
- For more information on ssRNA viruses, see Viral Zone negative-strand ssRNA virus list
- For more information on dsRNA viruses, see Viral Zone dsRNA virus list
See Help:References for how to manage references in GONUTS.
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
Pages in category "GO:0032774 ! RNA biosynthetic process"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Jump to pages starting with: E P